Sunday, July 31, 2011

7/31: Council-Tucky, Omaha, Vegas, and Other Ramblings

I think that this whole 'blog' thing is now basically a quarterly ordeal.

Work Update:

As I sit here in the beautiful Homewood Suites in Omaha, my final day of a 30 day stint for the Missouri River Flood Fight is looming. There is much to be said about "decency of good men". A major and damaging flood has hit the Missouri River Basin from South Dakota down through Iowa. The event experienced had a 1 in 500 chance of happening in any given year. Finishing the inspections, recommendations, and fast-track designs the area of Council Bluffs, IA and Omaha I have witnessed that people, for the most part are stubborn idiots. You tell someone to leave, they say thats nice and tell you to GTFO. But all that aside, I have enjoyed my time in this area of the country and the career experience. A big thanks goes out to the following: beer, decent food, and meeting another forum member. Hi Stacker :waveyguy:

Aside on the Midwest:
I had never been to the midwest I have discovered a few nuggets of wisdom.

1. What's with all the Mountain Dew consumption. That shit is poison.
2. Freeways are knows as interstates.
3. People think California is some far off land full of surfers, dopers, millionaires, and that there are only 2 cities. LA and SF.
4. When a midwesterner asked another midwesterner where they are from, they respond that they are from 'X' county. This concept baffles me.
5. Dentistry is meerly a suggestion.
6. Most people are nice, courteous, and helpful.
7. Learn to drive, seriously. Traffic in the midwest is like a 2am drive in California.
8. Where are the Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, and Korean restaurants.

On the positive note, the population density is not so bad at all. In all, I ended up mingling with some locals in Council Bluffs at the Horseshoe Poker Room for some limit holdem action. I was a foreigner to them, most people were very curios as to why/how I had made it out here and why? It was almost a land of xenophobes.

Life Update:

The wedding is fast approaching, hooray for marrying up. I learned from the best big ups to: P2, Shifty, Shabba, and Luske. There will be a "Very 67 Wedding" Thread as 3 members from the forum are in my wedding party: Nik Santi, superdonk, and poker superstar acbarone. Should be fun. The batchelor party agenda has been confirmed. Tailgate, Giants v. Dodgers at AT&T, Brewery Tour, and dinner. Teh pokers may or may not be involved. Sounds like a kick ass time. All parties welcome.

Oh and no more tests for me. The State of California obv screwed up and gave me an engineering license. gg tests.

The house is for sure coming together, backyard is done and the painting is getting there. We also have a line on a contractor that the wifey knows. Hooray for remodeling.

Upcoming trips planned: Cabo for Honeymoon in November, Vegas with 67 in January (hopefully work doesn't bend me over on this one), Belize in March, and then back to Vegas in June. #verylucky

Vegas/Poker Update:

More than half the year has been gone and I think that I am somewhere in the vicinity of where I want to be profit wise for someone who plays as little and infrequent as I do. My monetary goal I set at the beginning of the year is definitely achievable. I am excited about that for sure, but waaaay more excited and motivated about the trend and style that play is going. The biggest month of the year for me was March by far. Since about that time, I started looking at the game in a whole different light thanks to the guys of 67. I am looking at you Nik, AC, Shifty, Deuce, Shabba, and Tommy. I don't want to go into detail as to what I have changed and how much differently I play in certain spots as compared to a skant year ago. Lets just say that I love the 'fuck-you' turn raise, and it is hard to make hands, so make other people have the tough decision. Basically I have upped the aggresion...in non-forum games.

Vegas was awesome as usual. No detail more needed. You know the drill. Drinking, poker, railing craps, snipers, robberies, overall a wholesome good time. No names and specific activities needing to be mentioned.

Thats it for now. I leave 2 days from now and return to Sacramento, the mecca of limit holdem and levee problems.

No comments: